6.17.2011

happy fathers day, daddy!

For the past few years my sisters and I started a new tradition for Fathers Day. Instead of going to a movie or making him breakfast, we go on a hike through the Pacific Northwest. One of the most beautiful places on earth if you ask me! It's breathtaking, good exercise, and a chance to get away from TV, internet, and life's distractions. Plus it's great family time where we all get to make fun of how ridiculously out of shape we are!

I've missed a few fathers days in the past but this year feels different. I don't have the "I'm in the middle of school and 2000 miles away" excuse. Just the "I live in a new state that isn't remotely close to home" excuse. So while I can't be in Seattle for Fathers Day this year, I can still share my love and appreciation for my Dad with this recipe. It's his favorite cookie, I call them Fully loaded cookies. Because that's what they are, FULLY LOADED. 

This cookie couldn't have more ingredients packed in if you tried. Ok, it could probably have a few more but at some point enough is enough, right?! This recipe is my mom's. I'm not sure where she got it from but it is the perfect cookie, chewy with a little crunch on the outside but not so crunchy that its hard to eat or hurts your mouth. They stay moist for DAYS which is a bonus in my book! They even freeze well! 

When I was living alone I would make a batch, eat about 6 and then freeze the rest. I'd take them out one at a time... sometimes I couldn't wait for them to defrost and you know what, they're amazing frozen too! Now I make these cookies and Matt gobbles them up so fast I could barley get pictures of them! My favorite thing about this cookie is that every one is different. Some have mostly chocolate, others have a lot of nuts. Even when you stir the batter thoroughly you still end up with a slightly different cookie. 

A side note to all you nut haters, I usually live in the "no-nuts" camp too but there's something different about these cookies. They're so addictive! I hope you enjoy them as much as my Dad does!

Fully Loaded Cookies
yields 2 dozen medium sized cookies

ingredients:
1 c. melted butter (yes, melted)
¾ c. brown sugar
¾ c. granulated sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 ¼ c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 c. dark chocolate chips
2 c. milk chocolate chips
2 c. white chocolate chips
1 c. macadamia nuts
1 c. slightly chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325º. In a medium to large mixing bowl add melted butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla... combine well. In a smaller mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Add dry mixture into wet mixture. Stir in the chips and nuts. 

Drop dough on a cookie sheet. Make sure to leave some room for spreading... they do get a little larger when they cook. Bake at 325º for *15 - 18 minutes. 

* Whenever I bake, halfway through the cooking time I rotate the pans and flip them around to ensure 100% even baking. It's my secret to perfectly baked cookies!

improv style:
a lot of people think that you have to follow the recipe EXACTLY in baking... and you do, to an extent. As long as you keep the ratios the same (ie: 2 c. chocolate chips = 2. c substituted dry ingredient) you'll be fine. this can be expensive to make if you're like me and use good quality chocolate and macadamia nuts. holy cow are those nuts expensive! you can easily substitute any of the chocolate or nuts for other ingredients. white chocolate, dried cherry, pistachio would be fantastic. Or butterscotch, chocolate chip with dried apricots and almonds. You can take your favorite ingredients and substitute the chips. Just make sure that you have the same ingredient amount as listed in the recipe (7 cups).  











5 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering looking at the pictures; I can even smell them! Thanks for the Father's Day thoughts, Love you and see you next week, we can hike then! - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these cookies for a bake sale and they were the first to go, even though, a customer wanted just regular chocolate chip cookies. Oh my goodness, these are over the top and as you said pretty expensive to make. Macadamia nuts, if you can find them, are like buying gold. I left them out because of unavailability and price, added pecans, and they were still absolutely awesome. Every bite has something different in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait! Thanks for this yummy-looking cookie recipe. God bless you and yours. In Christ, Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RR
    ด้วยความที่เกมไพ่นกกระจอกนิยมกันอย่างแพร่หลาย ทางค่าย PG SLOT
    จึงพลาดไม่ได้ที่จะนำเกมไพ่นกกระจอกมาพัฒนาเป็นเกมบนโลกออนไลน์
    ให้ผู้คนสามารถเข้าถึงความสนุกได้ทุกที่ ทุกเวลา รูปแบบเกมจะเป็นแบบเกมสล็อต ซึ่งทางค่าย PG
    สามารถสร้างออกมาได้อย่างดีเยี่ยม ทั้งภาพ ทั้งกราฟิก และเสียงที่เข้ากันทุกองค์ประกอบได้อย่างลงตัว
    ถือว่าเป็นเกมที่น่าสนใจและมีเอกลักษณ์เป็นของตัวเอง สามารถดึงดูดผู้เล่นให้เพลิดเพลินไปกับเกมได้ไม่ยาก
    สล็อต888
    สล็อต888

    ReplyDelete
  5. RR
    เกมสล็อต Mahjong Way 2 จากเว็บไซต์ Superslot 98 ของค่ายเกมสล็อต PG Slot
    เป็นเกมที่ได้รับอิทธิพลมาจากเกมพื้นบ้านของประเทศจีนเรียกว่า “ไพ่นกกระจอก”
    ซึ่งประเทศจีนสนับสนุนให้มีการเล่นไพ่นกกระจอกเพราะถือว่าเป็นสิ่งที่ควรอนุรักษ์ไว้
    ทำให้ไพ่นกกระจอกในประเทศจีนนิยมเล่นกันอย่างแพร่หลาย
    สล็อต1234
    สล็อต1234

    ReplyDelete